Friday, February 26, 2010

Video Dreams and Noise Nightmares




Because of all the hooplah regarding "to motion, or not to motion", I took a couple of cameras that incorporate a video option and put them to a test in an extreme light situation. I went down to the train yard after dark with a friend to work on an idea for a music video incorporating a 5D and a Flip. When we went to shoot, it all looked great in the viewing screens. Even though we were dealing with a night situation using only existing security light, the screen gave the impression that all was working beautifully. The footage looked amazing as we shot it. Then I took it home. Upon playing it I found a sadly different story. The image was much more unstable and the footage looked hideous because of the digital noise. This was the result of both cameras. I expected this from the flip, but not the 5D. I was dissapointed and depressed. It seemed my hopes of having a camera that is capable of hard travels and extreme lighting conditions dissolved into the night sky.

I am going to try running another test this weekend with some sort of fill and hopefully a way to figure out how to get better control of the image quality while maintaining some sort of light and mobile system. Maybe the 5D wonder camera isn't as limitless as I had hoped. Or maybe, and I want this to be true, there is something that I missed, some information that will make my video dreams come true?

No comments:

Post a Comment